[Air-L] a great experiment

Scott MacLeod scott at scottmacleod.com
Tue Sep 13 14:17:44 PDT 2016

Great idea, Barry, and Association of Internet Researchers!

Curious too how researchers as interns in all 7K languages might "teach"
a developing Universal Translator -
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/WUaS_Universal_Translator - which
is like Google Translate (100 languages) with Wikipedia's Content
Translation with its Wiktionary dictionary informing this, and in its
Wikidata/Wikibase databases, which are in Wikipedia's 358 languages,
developing with AI, machine learning and machine translation (with many
posts about a WUaS universal translator). For example, here's a recent
blog post about teaching an universal translator Italian -
http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2016/05/leafy-seadragon-first-wuas-job.html
- (as part of a first WUaS job description too). Not sure how "teaching"
Google Translate's AI and machine translation, or teaching Wikipedia's
Content Translation works (especially eventually with Wiktionary) - but
WUaS plans to develop as research and teaching opportunity a robust
Universal Translator in all 7,097 living languages (re Ethnologue) and
in all 7,943 entries under languages (re Glottolog).

Also re a universal translator in a virtual earth, and as a research
project (and re a new methodology WUaS is developing which I'm calling
ethno-wiki-virtual-world-graphy -
http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/search/label/ethno-wiki-virtual-world-graphy
- here's a recent UC Berkeley talk I gave last November 2015 about
ethno-wiki-virtual-world-graphy - 36 slides from UC Berkeley talk on F
11/6/15 -
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1tAhXFinq8xm8BDFcceoHsNBHJi0wpS0HDFh40PXsQ2I/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000
(accessible here -
http://www.scottmacleod.com/ActualVirtualHarbinBook.html and here
http://bit.ly/HarbinBook ). I hope we can all be in a film-realistic,
3D, group build-able, interactive, STEM, with realistic avatars' virtual
earth like Google Street View with time slider with Open Sim, and with a
universal translator in all 7,097 languages - all as research projects
for all kinds of STEM researchers.

How this will all work for book publishing and translation in multiple
languages is still unfolding research-wise. RE the Bible as the basis of
Universal Translator, since it's been translated into some 1300
languages many pre-copyright, here are slides from a talk I gave about
this -
http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2015/03/orchidaceae-wuas-1000-proposed-issip.html
.

Great thoughts!