[Air-L] Twitter Scraper

Thomas Ball xtc283 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 18:01:34 PDT 2016

Dominique-

   Here are suggestions re Twitter scraping from past threads:

As a follow-up to our earlier announcement about OSoMe, today we
released the OSoMe + BotOrNot API mashup that allows to explore
whether a Twitter conversation (hashtag) is sustained by social bots:

http://osome.iuni.iu.edu/resources/
https://github.com/IUNetSci/osome-mashups/blob/master/botornot%20active%20users.ipynb

Best,
-Fil

http://news.indiana.edu/releases/iu/2016/05/observatory-on-social-media.shtml

> Our new system is called Observatory on Social Media (OSoMe in short,
> pronounced "awesome"). Please give it a try and let us know what you
> think! You can find it here:
>
> http://osome.iuni.iu.edu (or if you forget, try socialmediaobservatory.org
)

SocialMediaLab is an R package that provides a suite of tools for
collecting and constructing networks from social media data. It provides
easy-to-use functions for collecting data across popular platforms
(Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube) and generating different types
of networks for analysis.  SocialMediaLab also collects the associated text
data from social media platforms (e.g. Tweets, Facebook fan page posts and
comments, YouTube video comments).

SocialMediaLab was created by Timothy Graham from the University of
Queensland (who is also the maintainer of the package) and Robert Ackland
from the Australian National University.

The latest 'official' version of the package can be found here:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/SocialMediaLab/index.html

The development version, support and further information can be found here:
https://github.com/voson-lab/SocialMediaLab

Also, see the SocialMediaLab page on the VOSON Lab website:
http://voson.anu.edu.au/SocialMediaLab - this has several "how to" guides,
including an "Absolute Beginners Guide to SocialMediaLab" tutorial aimed at
people with little or no programming experience.

The following 5-day course (Canberra, 18-22 January 2016) will have a
strong focus on SocialMediaLab:
https://www.acspri.org.au/summerprogram2016/big-data-analysis-social-scientists

We are also available for in-house/customised training sessions!

SocialMediaLab would not be possible without key packages by other authors
in the R community, particularly: igraph, Rfacebook, instaR, twitteR,
data.table, tm, and httr.

Please feel free to send us suggestions and report bugs (via github page),
and we welcome contributions to SocialMediaLab!

--

Dr Robert Ackland
Associate Professor, School of Sociology and Centre for Social Research and

Hope this helps...