[Air-L] Displaying All YouTube Comments?

Michael Stewart tgm at vt.edu
Mon Apr 24 11:35:58 PDT 2017

Good afternoon,

Thanks to the pointer from Maurice, I did a quick test, and the
documentation of their API is a little confusing, but the API can deliver
more than 100 results (I assume it can deliver all comments), but it just
paginates them based on the maxResults parameter. the response will include
nextPageToken which can be used to retrieve the next "page" of results.  (I
tested for only 2 "pages" and was able to grab 200 comments with distinct
ids for a video)

Also, I *think* that (in YT parlance) "commentThreads" is the more useful
api: https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/docs/commentThreads/list

Michael

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 1:49 PM Maurice Vergeer <m.vergeer at maw.ru.nl> wrote:

> Hi Claudia,
>
> I'm not sure it's possible to collect all comments. The YouTube API
> delivers 100 comments maximum (
> https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/docs/comments/list). To download
> the comments can be done with R tuber (
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/tuber/tuber.pdf).
> If you need more you could try scraping the comments, but I am not sure
> this will work on YouTube.
>
> Hope his helps
> Maurice
>
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Claudia Nazario <
> cnazario at email.arizona.edu
> > wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Is anyone aware of how to display all pages/comments a video has received
> > on YouTube at the same time (instead of clicking on "Show More" to load
> > additional comments)?
> >
> > I want to use a web tool to analyze the comments, but need all comments
> > visible simultaneously.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any suggestions and/or alternatives.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Claudia Nazario
> >
> > Ph.D. Candidate, Spanish & Portuguese
> >
> > University of Arizona
> >

> > At the University of Arizona, "Anyone who directly witnesses a bias or
> hate
> > incident, believes they are a victim of bias or hate activity, or becomes
> > aware of an incident of bias or hate are encouraged to report the
> incident
> > to the Dean of Students Office and/or UAPD. Reports may be made
> > anonymously."
> >
> https://arizona-advocate.symplicity.com/public_report/index.php/pid348626?

> > http://www.aoir.org/
>

> --
> Maurice Vergeer
> To contact me, see http://mauricevergeer.nl/node/5
> For yesterday's news in perspective: http://www.echovannl.nl/
> To see my publications, see http://mauricevergeer.nl/node/1
> PGP public key:
> https://keys.mailvelope.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE7BF24D19BE34017

Michael Stewart, PhD Candidate
Virginia Tech Computer Science
Third Lab member
http://thirdlab.cs.vt.edu/
--
Global Perspectives Graduate Fellow
Innovation Catalyst Group Graduate Fellow with TLOS
tgm at vt.edu
(704) 900-1864
2202 Kraft Dr.
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA