[Air-L] New book: Wikipedia, Work and Capitalism

Dariusz Jemielniak dariusz.jemielniak at fulbrightmail.org
Tue Apr 18 06:50:28 PDT 2017

they definitely "should" in an ideal world - when I was going to publish
"Common Knowledge? An Ethnography of Wikipedia", I negotiated long and hard
with Stanford University Press to use GPL at least some time after the
publication... To no avail. This is one of the reasons why I'm going to go
with MIT Press as my first choice, then next time I have a book to publish.
Back then, I was time-pressed to go with any prime publisher :(

dj

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Avner Kantor <avnerkantor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Congratiolations!
>
> I wonder if books about Wikipedia should be free and open under the terms
> of the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CCBYSA> (CC-BY-SA) like all
> Wikipedia's articles...
>
> Best,
>
> Avner
>
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Arwid Lund <arwid.lund at abm.uu.se> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > This could be of interest to some of you.
> >
> > My book Wikipedia, Work and Capitalism (Palgrave Macmillan) has finally
> > been published online (the hardcover will be out within weeks). It
> situates
> > Wikipedia and peer production within a Marxist perspective on cognitive
> > capitalism, and uses ideology analysis to study the Wikipedians'
> > perceptions of their own activities as well as their understanding of the
> > project's relation to capitalism.
> >
> > If it sounds interesting you can have a look here:
> > http://www.springer.com/gb/book/9783319506890?wt_mc=
> > ThirdParty.SpringerLink.3.EPR653.About_eBook#
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > Arwid Lund
> >
> > Arwid Lund
> > PhD in Information Studies
> > Department of ALM, Uppsala University
> > Email: arwid.lund at abm.uu.se

> > http://www.aoir.org/

_________________________________
check out my ethnography of Wikipedia:
Jemielniak, Dariusz (2014) Common Knowledge? An Ethnography of Wikipedia,
Stanford: Stanford University Press
http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Reviews:
Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
Pacific Standard:
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/
Motherboard: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia
Inside HigherED:
*https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/library-babel-fish/common-knowledge-jemielniak-wikipeda
<https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/library-babel-fish/common-knowledge-jemielniak-wikipeda>*
The Wikipedian:
http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge

Dariusz Jemielniak, Ph.D.
Professor of Management
Chair of International Management Department
head of the Center for Research on Organizations and Workplaces (CROW)
Kozminski University
http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl
New Research on Digital Societies (NeRDS) group:
http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl  <http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl>