[Air-L] The Digital Everyday conference - 6 May at King's College London

Feldman, Zeena zeena.feldman at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 28 04:15:44 PDT 2017

Dear friends,

The Centre for Digital Culture at King’s College London is hosting its annual conference on Saturday 6th May. This year's theme is The Digital Everyday: Exploration or Alienation?

This international conference aims at exploring the digital everyday, understood as the transformation of everyday life practices brought about by digital technology. From how we buy, walk around, get a cab, love, break up, go to bed, meet new people and sexual partners to the way we rate services, turn on the fridge, exercise, eat, use social media and apps, Big Data is reshaping some of the most basic activities in our lives. We will also explore a number of overarching dynamics and trends in the digital world that contribute to these transformations, including: processes of digital individualisation and aggregation; the elisions of spatial and temporal barriers; trends towards quantification and datafication; and the dialectic between control and alienation.

We will have keynotes by Judy Wajcman, Susanna Paasonen and Taina Bucher and panels on play, self, labour, love, surveillance and place in the digital world. The draft programme is available at http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/ahri/centres/Digicult/CDC-programme-FINAL.pdf.

The conference fee is £15 (£10 for students) and registration is open at http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/ahri/eventrecords/2016-2017/Digicult/The-Digital-Everyday-Exploration-or-Alienation.aspx.

Hope to see you there!
Zeena

Dr Zeena Feldman