[Air-L] EXTENSION: HASTAC 2017

Mel Stanfill mstanfill at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 11:57:56 PDT 2017

Please forward widely!

*HASTAC 2017: The Possible Worlds of Digital Humanities**, November 2-4,
2017*

University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida

Submissions Deadline:  *NOW Monday April 17, 2017*

CFP link: http://hastac2017.org/index.php/cfp/

In 2017, we invite you to join us at the University of Central Florida to
explore “The Possible Worlds of Digital Humanities.” Orlando is known to
tourists worldwide for theme parks that bring to life many imagined worlds
and narratives, most of which reflect back to us dominant discourses and
ideologies. Likewise, digital humanities struggles with building towards a
future that is more inclusive and interdisciplinary. This year, we hope to
address the unsolved hard problems and explore the new opportunities of the
digital humanities. We particularly welcome submissions addressing themes
such as:

   - challenges of monolingualism within the digital humanities
   - indigenous culture, decolonial and post-colonial theory and technology
   - technology and education–open learning, peer learning, and issues of
   access, equity for primary and/or higher education
   - communication of knowledge, publishing, and intellectual property
   - digital cultural heritage and hegemony
   - interdisciplinary goals and conversations in digital humanities
   - digital humanities and gender, race, and other identities
   - simulation, modeling, and visualization
   - games and gaming, including for learning
   - community development including the importance of art and culture
   districts
   - other unsolved hard problems in digital humanities

HASTAC 2017 will include plenary panels, workshops, roundtables, short
“soapbox” talks, project demos, poster sessions, and a curated media arts
show exhibition. At HASTAC, we invite you to think about the format of your
session as well as the content.

We seek proposals for participant presentations in the following categories:

   - 5-8 minute “soapbox” talks
   - roundtables (be creative with your format — no reading papers!)
   - project demos
   - digital and/or print posters
   - maker sessions or workshops
   - Media arts (new media, games, and electronic literature)

For each submission, we will need the following information from you:

1) complete contact information including valid phone, email, and
institutional affiliation, if any;

2) maximum 500-word abstract of the work you would like to present that
must discuss its relationship to the conference themes;

3) any technical requirements or other support (including space
requirements) that may be required for the presentation.  For exhibitions
or other performances, please indicate any equipment that is absolutely
required and that you cannot bring with you.  In the event that we cannot
guarantee access to the equipment, we regret that we may not be able to
accept your proposal.

*Digital and/or Print Posters Wanted!*

Print posters (4 x 3’) and electronic posters (to be projected) are
solicited for emerging projects, ideas, and scholars. In presenting your
research with a poster, you should aim to use the poster as a means for
generating active discussion of your research. Limit the text to about
one-fourth of the poster space, and use visuals (graphs, photographs,
schematics, maps, etc.) to tell your story.  Use the regular submission
form, but indicate that you are proposing a Poster by checking the
appropriate box.

*Maker Sessions & Workshops*

We will provide some room and resources for individuals or groups to create
informal maker spaces, where conference participants can share, exchange,
and experiment with new online tools, personal fabrication technologies,
open source electronics such as Arduino, and other creative and learning
devices and gadgets. To propose a maker session or workshop, please use the
standard submission form and indicate that yours is a maker session. Please
also tell us how long the session requires!

*Media Arts Show*

The Media Arts Show invites creative works that engage with the show’s
theme, “Soft(ware) Solutions / Hard Problems.” Works of new media,
including games, electronic literature, and installations that meld
physical and digital components, are welcome. Please provide a detailed
description of the work, its purpose, and all technical and physical
requirements for display.

All proposals will be peer-reviewed, but we regret that we cannot provide
detailed reviewer feedback. We welcome applications from scholars at all
stages of their careers from all disciplines and fields, from private
sector companies and public sector organizations, from artists and public
intellectuals, and from networks and individuals.
Best,

Mel Stanfill, PhD
Assistant Professor
Texts and Technology and Digital Media