[Air-L] Lit on ethics & privacy issues of facial recognition and other biometrics?

Isabelle Zaugg isabellezaugg at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 7 07:55:35 PDT 2017

Dear Cory,

I would look into one issue, not central to your research but important, which is disparities in facial recognition based on race.  Start by watching Joy Buolamwini's TEDx talk on this subject.

https://www.ted.com/talks/joy_buolamwini_how_i_m_fighting_bias_in_algorithms
How I'm fighting bias in algorithms<https://www.ted.com/talks/joy_buolamwini_how_i_m_fighting_bias_in_algorithms>
www.ted.com
MIT grad student Joy Buolamwini was working with facial recognition software when she noticed a problem: the software didn't recognize her face -- because the people ...

Best wishes,

Isabelle

Isabelle Zaugg
Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellow in ኢትዮጵያ
PhD Candidate in Communication
American University
Washington, D.C.