[Air-L] Anonymizing Twitter handles

Deen Freelon dfreelon at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 06:02:38 PDT 2017

This could be an opportunity to educate your IRB on social media
research, as not all IRBs understand the implications of what they ask
researchers to do (I speak from personal experience here). As others
have stated, anonymization of Twitter data is both difficult
logistically and can impede analysis and presentation of results. At the
same time, even with such a public platform, these concerns must be
balanced against users' rights and interests. But there are ways other
than anonymization to accomplish this.

In our recent report on the Black Lives Matter movement's use of social
media, we took three steps to address the privacy and intellectual
property concerns of the users whose tweets we cited as examples:

  * Posting links to tweets rather than reproducing their full text.
  * Linking only to tweets that had collected a minimum of 100 retweets.
  * Linking only to tweets posted by users who had at least 3,000
    followers or were Twitter-verified.

We feel these steps helped achieve a balance between our interests as
researchers, the audience's interest in understanding the phenomenon,
and participants' interests in not having their content appropriated
inappropriately. You can read more about these steps on p. 86 of the
report, which is available here:
http://cmsimpact.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/beyond_the_hashtags_2016.pdf

/DEEN