[Air-L] Anonymizing Twitter handles

Jodi Schneider jschneider at pobox.com
Fri Apr 14 15:05:25 PDT 2017

I agree with Deen regarding educating your IRB; unless there is
particularly sensitivity to the tweets you are quoting "anonymizing" may in
fact be inappropriate. You might want to look at articles like these:

Bruckman, Amy. "Studying the amateur artist: A perspective on disguising
data collected in human subjects research on the Internet." *Ethics and
Information Technology* 4.3 (2002): 217-231.

Bruckman, Amy, Kurt Luther, and Casey Fiesler. "When Should We Use Real
Names in Published Accounts of Internet Research?." *Digital Research
Confidential: The Secrets of Studying Behavior Online* (2015): 243.

-Jodi
http://jodischneider.com/jodi.html