[Air-L] IRC log analysis software

Ogden J.R. Jessica.Ogden at soton.ac.uk
Mon Aug 7 06:59:08 PDT 2017

Hi all -

I’m looking for CAQDAS recommendations and/or pointers towards literature for analysing large sets of IRC logs. I began using NVivo but the load times with several years and channels of logs has made this a bit untenable. As my study is qualitative, my main priority is using something that allows me to use open coding, but automated coding/query retrieval is also desired - particularly to auto-code usernames (a function NVivo did quite nicely). Secondary priorities would be on text mining capabilities for topic tracking/analysis, for which I’ve found quite a bit of literature outlining.

I currently have the data in CSV but if need be I can convert or retrieve in alternative formats.

Any suggestions very much appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Best wishes
Jess

--
Jessica Ogden