[Air-L] Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Social Media @ University of Sheffield, UK

Andrew M Cox a.m.cox at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Aug 11 00:07:33 PDT 2017

Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Social Media @ University of Sheffield, UK

The Information School is recognised nationally and internationally for its
world-class research, excellence in teaching, and the achievements of its
graduates. It is the leader in its field in the UK, achieving top-ranking
positions for research environment and research impact in the Research
Excellence Framework 2014 and ranked top in all previous national Research
Assessment Exercises. It is a member of the international iSchools
organisation, a group of leading cognate schools established to promote the
role of the information field in shaping the future of the global
information society.

We are investing in a strategic appointment at Lecturer/Senior Lecturer
level in the area of social media to enhance and expand our excellent
research and teaching in areas of information science, including data,
information and knowledge in digital societies.  The appointee will make a
strong contribution to the further development of our research activities,
to the delivery of our postgraduate MSc/MA programmes and to the
supervision and development of research students in cognate areas.
Additionally, those appointed as a Senior Lecturer will be expected to
conduct internationally recognised innovative research and encourage and
support research activities of other staff and act in senior roles within
the School/Faculty to advance student academic and research development.

You will have a PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant field, a well-established
or developing research profile, proven teaching ability, a strong
commitment to interdisciplinary collaboration, and will make a key
contribution to advancing the School’s competitive position. You will be
expected to contribute to the School’s Digital Societies Research Group and
the Faculty of Social Sciences Digital Societies Network, as well as
collaborating with colleagues in other research groups across the School,
and more widely across the Faculty of Social Sciences and the University.

The successful candidate’s research and teaching expertise will complement
that of existing staff and will be in one or more of the following areas of:

 ·         Social media and Web 2.0 applications: the study of social media
use and design in specific contexts such as, but not restricted to:
business and marketing, health and healthcare, international development,
education and political activism; or

·         Methodological innovations for undertaking social media research:
including quantitative and mixed method approaches to analysis of social
media; e.g., big data analytics, text and data mining, data visualisation,
social network analysis, link analysis and webometrics; or

·         Ethical issues in the use of social media and in social media
research: relating to privacy, confidentiality, copyright, and user
awareness of rights and responsibilities.

We are particularly interested in applicants with experience in utilising
quantitative and computational methods of analysis. We welcome applications
from ambitious, highly motivated and talented individuals with research
expertise that will complement and strengthen our existing research
profile, and who will be keen to play an active role in enhancing the
School’s national and international reputation for research and teaching
excellence and innovation. Those appointed to Senior Lecturer will also
need to demonstrate a proven ability to lead and manage research activity
(e.g. initiate grant applications, manage or co-manage funded research
projects successfully to completion, manage research staff etc.)

The full job advert and job description can be accessed via
www.sheffield.ac.uk/jobs, and searched for using the job reference
 UOS016918 (Social Media).

The closing deadline for applications is Wednesday 6th September.

--
Andrew Cox
Senior lecturer

Co-Editor of *Online Information Review
<http://www.emeraldinsight.com/loi/oir>*

Rm 222, Information School, Regent Court, Portobello, Sheffield S1 4DP

<http://ischools.org/the-iconference/about-the-iconference/iconference-preview/>

Find us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/ischoolsheffield>, follow us
on Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/infoschoolsheff>, read our latest news
on our Blog <http://information-studies.blogspot.co.uk/> and join our