[Air-L] Slightly odd request for research on vlogging

Sophie Helen Bishop sophiehelenbishop at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 07:24:04 PDT 2017

Hi my name is Sophie, I am a 3rd year PhD Student at University of East
London in the department of Arts and Digital Industries.

My research is looking at the (highly gendered) space of vlogging (video
blogging) on YouTube, focusing on the mythology of vlogging as an
entrepreneurial pursuit, or as a pathway to creative industries in the UK.

As part of my field work I would *love *to go to the YouTube Space in
London. As many will probably know, this is a massive studio space run by
Google, that holds workshops, training sessions and provides studio space
for the UK's vlogging elite. As part of the 'elite' nature of this
resource, you need 1000 subscribers (or followers) to even set foot in the
door and attend an event (you need 10,000 subscribers and 100,000
respectively for most of the resources).

Any suggestions or contact introductions would be incredibly helpful. I
have contacted YouTube through any channel that is advertised, drained any
Google adjacent contacts I have and even walked into the Space to realise
there is no reception desk and it's all basically automated. So, as someone
who has no institutional or network links to Google, the only creative and
roundabout way I can think of right now is to get 1000 subscribers  on my
YouTube Channel.

I don't have the time (or the content) to actually build my subscriber base
to this level so I am asking the kindly space of AoIR if you would consider
subscribing to the channel. I do not need you to watch my content, or find
me interesting in any way, this is purely an access issue (the things you
do for access!). I don't make many videos so it shouldn't bother you.

You can subscribe if you have a Google account, and it is the red button in
the top right hand corner of the page.

Here is the link:  http://www.youtube.com/sophiehelenbishop

Thank you for reading this slightly odd request, and I hope you are all
enjoying your summers. Please contact me with any questions.

Best wishes,
Sophie

--
Sophie Bishop
PhD Candidate, Arts and Digital Industries, University of East London