[Air-L] Observation log for online research

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Tue Aug 8 10:01:28 PDT 2017

Hi Loup,

> On Aug 8, 2017, at 11:29 AM, Loup Cellard <loupcellard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Everyone has good examples of "observation log" to conduct research on
> online behaviors ? Interesting ways to collect and categorize notes.
> Especially to study social media interactions.
> Maybe some extract from assignments or past research.
>
> I am thinking maybe for examples that come from digital
> ethnography/anthropology and design related contributions from HCI, UI/UX
> design...

Maybe it's more on the methodological side but you might be interested in Geiger and Ribes idea of trace ethnography:

   http://ethnographymatters.net/blog/2016/03/23/trace-ethnography-a-retrospective/

Some of the example projects linked at the end could provide some guidance on how to put the idea to work in your own research, if it's of interest.

//Ed