[Air-L] Public Engagement with Data Science

Thomas Ball xtc283 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 05:33:10 PDT 2017

This suggestion may not be precisely on target with your question insofar
as I'm extending it from "data science" to "data driven" policy
considerations.

In considering the impact of behavioral economic (BE) "nudges" on social
policy, both the British Parliament and the US government surveyed a wide
range of data or evidence driven factors in evaluating these effects. I'm
aware that I should define what BE "nudges" are, but an extended discussion
on this topic is, in my opinion, beyond the scope of what this forum
allows. In addition and despite the lopsided focus of this response, BE is
not the only topic which is data driven and contains wide social policy
implications. There are many others.

Given that, here are a few links to articles that explicitly discuss
"nudges" and how they have been deployed in enabling social policy
engineering:

*The Original Book on Nudges:*
Thaler and Sunstein, *Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and
Happiness*, 2009

*British Parliament House of Lords study of "nudges":*
http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/lords-select/science-and-technology-committee/news/behaviour-change-published/

*US Government studies of "nudges":*
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/352/6289/1042?utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin

*Other articles on "nudges" and social policy:*

*Should Governments Nudge Us to Make Good Choices?*
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/should-governments-nudge-us-to-make-good-choices/

*Policy and Choice: Public Finance Through the Lens of Behavioral Economics*
https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/policyandchoice_book.pdf

*Applying the Lessons of Behavioral Economics to Improve the Federal
Student Loan Programs*
https://www.luminafoundation.org/files/publications/ideas_summit/Applying_the_Lessons_of_Behavioral_Economics_to_improve_the_Federal_Policy_Loan_Programs.pdf

*The Nudge Is Not Enough! The Love Story Between Behavioral Science and
Practical Applications*
https://www.behavioraleconomics.com/the-nudge-is-not-enough-the-love-story-between-behavioral-science-and-practical-applications/

*Nudges Do Not Undermine Human Agency*
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2594758

*Nudged to the Produce Aisle by a Look in the Mirror*
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/28/dining/wooing-us-down-the-produce-aisle.html?src=dayp&_r=0

Hope this helps,
Thomas Ball