[Air-L] smartphones/teens/hyperbole

Unger, Johann j.unger at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Aug 26 06:59:09 PDT 2017

Most definitely - the article does make some reasonable (and reasoned points), but largely it is tapping into the usual moral panics around childhood, technology and particularly the intersection of the two.

On tracing things back through history - I used to use a set of quotes that showed how each generation complained about new technologies (bark, slates, quills, ball-point pens etc.) ruining the writing skills of a new generation of youths… until I found out the whole set was made up, as detailed in various blogs & articles:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/04/21/students-bark/
Still, no smoke without fire, right?

Best, Johnny.

Dr J W Unger
Lecturer and Academic Director of Summer Programmes
Department of Linguistics and English Language
Lancaster University
LA1 4YL

e-mail: j.unger at lancaster.ac.uk<mailto:j.unger at lancaster.ac.uk>
tel: +44 1524 592591<tel:+44%201524%20592591>
Follow me on Twitter @johnnyunger<http://twitter.com/#!/johnnyunger>