[Air-L] Non-software uses of GitHub

Célya Gruson-Daniel celya.gruson-daniel at parisdescartes.fr
Fri Dec 1 02:13:36 PST 2017

Hello,

Here are some other uses of Github (but also other free and open source platforms as Gitlab and Framagit) .

Collaborative teaching :
We are developing programmation with Python courses <https://github.com/HackYourPhd/ateliers-open-geek> with the HackYourPhD organizations (workshops similar to software carpentry mentioned earlier but in french with a special focus on research examples in neurosciences but also social sciences). Often, several mentors of one session are working together to develop the syllabus.

Hackathon/ Data sprints and data sciences projects organization :
we have used the framagit platform (based on Gitlab which is open source compared to Github) for several events  : an hackathon <https://framagit.org/c24b/republique-numerique> organized to analyse the data of a french consultation on the "Digital republic » law  then during data sprints/ data sciences projects with students in social sciences.

Presentations with Gitpitch  :
I have also used Gitpitch on Github to create presentations online and work on it in a collaborative way with the co-speakers. Two examples here <https://github.com/Celyagd/ODS> and here <https://github.com/Celyagd/S2_hack>

And it is  possible to create you own website or a website for and organizations with the GitHub pages.

And I would be interested in a summary of your findings. Thanks !

Best

Célya

Célya Gruson-Daniel
celyagd.com <http://celyagd.github.io/about/>