[Air-L] Prevalence of Trolling Behavior

Janet Sternberg janet.sternberg at nyu.edu
Fri Dec 1 06:57:18 PST 2017

Greetings,

My 2012 book, "Misbehavior in Cyber Places: The Regulation of Online
Conduct in Virtual Communities on the Internet" gives extensive
background on what today many folks call "trolling." The book is based
on my doctoral dissertation research concluded in 2001, and as far as I
know, is the first book-length treatment of the topic overall. I deal
with online behavior up to the year 2000, before the advent of social
media, but you may find some useful information, as well as an extensive
bibliography. Among other issues, I distinguish misbehavior and
rule-breaking (today's "trolling") from crime and law-breaking, and
consider cybercrime, cyberlaw, and the differences between local and
global regulation.

http://misbehaviorincyberplaces.tumblr.com/

Regards,

Janet Sternberg, PhD
janet.sternberg at nyu.edu
http://about.me/JanetPhD
Media scholar & author of book: Misbehavior in Cyber Places