[Air-L] Theorizing the Web 2018 CFP

Jenny Davis jennifer.davis at anu.edu.au
Mon Dec 11 18:57:19 PST 2017

Call for Papers
Theorizing the Web 2018

April 27–28 in New York City

At the Museum of the Moving Image, in Astoria, Queens

Call for Papers

Theorizing the Web 2018

April 27–28 in New York City

At the Museum of the Moving Image, in Astoria, Queens

The submission deadline is Sunday, February 4, 2018 (11:59 p.m. EST)

Theorizing the Web is an event held annually since 2011 for critical, conceptual conversations about technology and society. We believe theory has a larger role to play in these conversations. Opposed to singular ideas, or datasets, or policy proposals — which are often used in relation to specific isolated problems — social theory addresses how ideas about new technologies intersect and relate, how they build, and how they are located within a deeper history of ideas.

Here are some photos and videos from last year’s event if you want to see the vibe of it all.

We support theorizing by academics and non-academics and value clear and compelling arguments that avoid jargon. We host thinking about technology by people who may not think of themselves primarily as “tech” thinkers. Activists, journalists, technologists, writers, artists, and people who don’t identify as any of the above are all encouraged to submit. We especially invite submissions that engage with issues of social justice, power, inequality, and vulnerability from a diverse range of perspectives.

Submissions on any topic are welcome. Some general topical suggestions include the relationship between technology and identity, privacy, sexuality, gender, intimacy, the body, power, politics, surveillance, racism, sexism, ableism, class, harassment, space, chaos, design, discourse, knowledge, images, memes, attention, work, fiction, gaming, globalization, capitalism, and protest.

Submissions should be 300 to 500 words (only the first 500 words will be reviewed). The TtW Selection Committee will blindly review submissions and make decisions in mid to late February. Space is limited, and our acceptance rate is typically 20-35%. The presentations themselves will be 12-minute talks organized into themed panel sessions. You will be speaking to a general audience who may not share your area of expertise.

Submit your proposal here: http://theorizingtheweb.tumblr.com/2018/submit

Before submitting, please read our FAQ section on submissions: http://theorizingtheweb.tumblr.com/2018/about#faqsubmit

Registration for Theorizing the Web remains pay-what-you-can, and we ask that you donate whatever amount you deem fair or can afford (minimum $1). Register here: http://theorizingtheweb.tumblr.com/2018/registration

Stay tuned to theorizingtheweb.org<http://theorizingtheweb.org/> for announcements about invited panels, and email us at theorizingtheweb at gmail.com<mailto:theorizingtheweb at gmail.com> if you would like to help out with our all-volunteer event in any way. We’re @TtW_conf on Twitter, @TTWConference on Facebook, and the conference hashtag is #TtW18.

Jenny L. Davis

Lecturer, School of Sociology

The Australian National University

Co-Editor: Cyborgology<https://thesocietypages.org/cyborgology/> <https://twitter.com/Jenny_L_Davis>