[Air-L] WEBCAST TODAY: Internet Society + Chatham House Panel: Do We Still Trust the Internet?

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Thu Dec 14 09:02:00 PST 2017

You probably are familiar with, or have heard of, the Chatham House Rule,
which protects the anonymity of discussants. Fortunately that has not been
invoked for this, thus we are able to webcast what promises to be very good
session. Note the participation, not only of ISOC's Sally Wentworth, but
also Marina Kaljurand of Estonia, where there recently has been a crisis of
confidence
<https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2017/09/security_flaw_i.html> in
the crypto behind their national ID card. 1pm NYC time. Open Captions.

[image: livestream] <https://livestream.com/internetsociety/securitization/>
Today, *Thursday 14 December 2017* the *Internet Society
<https://internetsociety.org/>* and *Chatham House
<https://www.chathamhouse.org/event/do-we-still-trust-internet>* will host
a panel discussion *Do We Still Trust the Internet?
<https://www.internetsociety.org/events/chatham-house-panel-discussion-do-we-still-trust-internet>*in
London. Over the past few years, there has been a clear shift towards
greater ‘securitization’ of the Internet, where security is less about
personal data integrity and network resilience, and more about national
security and political control. This is evident through the practice of
Internet shutdowns, data localization policies, attacks on the
multi-stakeholder model of Internet governance and encryption backdoors. At
this event, held in partnership with the Internet Society, participants
will discuss the trend towards ‘securitization’, its implications and how
to strengthen trust in the Internet, Participants:
*​​*
*Marina Kaljurand*, Chair, Global Commission on the Stability of
Cyberspace; Minister of Foreign Affairs, Estonia (2015-16); *Sally
Wentworth*, Vice President of Global Policy Development, Internet
Society; *Patricia
Lewis*, Research Director, International Security Department, Chatham
House. Moderator: *Emily Taylor*, Associate Fellow, International Security
and Editor, Journal of Cyber Policy, Chatham House. The event will be
webcast live via the *Internet Society Livestream Channel
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/securitization/>*, *YouTube
<https://youtu.be/O5ZiAsQSzRw>*, and *Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/InternetSociety/>*.

*What: Chatham House Panel: Do We Still Trust the Internet?
<https://www.internetsociety.org/events/chatham-house-panel-discussion-do-we-still-trust-internet>When:
Thursday 14 December 2017 18:00 – 19:00 UTC | 13:00-14:00
ESTWebcast: Livestream
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/securitization/> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/InternetSociety/> | YouTube
<https://youtu.be/O5ZiAsQSzRw>Captioning: