[Air-L] Ethical problem in a Twitter reaserch

Cormac O'Keeffe okeeffe.cormac at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 00:31:57 PST 2017

Hi,

Depending on the scraping technique that you use, you can filter by date of
birth – and accept all if the skewing and falsification that goes with
that.

It's a great question and one that we overlooked partly because the hashtag
was one that seemed highly unlikely to attract < 18 yos.

Best,

Cormac

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 at 07:47, Lior Beserman <liorbeserman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear  Air-L Community,
>
> I have encountered an ethical problem which I am sure I am not the first to
> encounter and so would appreciate your say on the matter.
> I am doing a discourse analysis on a twitter hashtag and I have no way to
> discern that I am not using under age (under 18) users tweets.
> As there are completely different questions and guidelines to research
> minors from an ethical perspective, I was wondering how other people have
> dealt with this problem in their research?
>
> Thank you,
> Lior Beserman Navon,
>
> Ph.D. Candidate
>
> The Department of Sociology & Anthropology
>
> The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Mobile:+33 7 68 59 39 17
Twitter: ocaoimh
Skype: c.ocaoimh