[Air-L] Ethical problem in a Twitter reaserch

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Mon Dec 18 00:58:16 PST 2017

Hi,

one fairly standard approach is to go ahead and conduct your research -
though probably with the additional step of setting up a second database
that assigns random identifiers to the original accounts / profiles.

Once you have completed your analyses - then the question becomes what
you need to include as explicit quotes in the publication /
dissemination phase.  Typically, these are only a few - i.e., in
contrast with 10s if not 100s of thousands (if not more) of texts
gathered in.
Whereas informed consent is impossible for the latter - it is
considerably more feasible for the former.  So one possibility is to
contact the writers you want to quote and ask for their permission.

Of course, this will not directly address the question as to whether
they are minors - and you're exactly right that this is a critical
ethical (and, in many jurisdictions, a legal) issue.

At this point, some will argue that this is not your problem - the
informants have read (well, at least clicked through) the ToS and that
such posts are by a kind of default public and so don't require anything
more than acknowledgement (copyright to the author).  If a minor is
involved, on this view, ethical obligations to vulnerable populations
are overridden by a kind of legal coverage ostensibly provided by their
agreeing to the ToS.

Others - especially from deontological and ethics of care perspectives -
will argue that protection of minors overrides any legal contract
established in the ToS.  How you directly ascertain the identity of
someone on Twitter while asking for their permission to use their quote
is, of course, not unproblematic.  But these days, it's harder to be a
dog unnoticed as a dog on the Internet and so it might be more
straightforward than say 10 or certainly 20 years ago.

My 2 cents - good luck and looking forward to the discussion!

- charles