[Air-L] advice on suspended Twitter account

Kramer, Howard hkramer at iliff.edu
Wed Dec 13 11:41:51 PST 2017

I've been using one of my Twitter accounts as part of my dissertation
research to follow accounts that are sympathetic to the Syrian opposition,
some Salafist, some even possible ISIS supporters. But I've also used this
account to follow radical monitoring groups and think tanks.

I've only retweeted twice using this account and the content was not
radical or controversial but my account was suspended a couple of weeks ago
without explanation except the boiler plate that I had violated Twitter's
terms of service. I've filled out the appeal form a couple of times but
I've heard nothing back.

Besides the frustration I guess on some level it's interesting. There
was a recent
piece on the BBC <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csvtp2> on how Twitter
has been suspending a number of individuals such as Unclebantzz, 'a member
of a loose group known as “black Twitter”
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csvtp2>'. So it seems Twitter has been
going overboard on its anti-abuse policies.

If anyone has any suggestions on re-establishing a suspended account, I
welcome any advice. Losing this account is, to say the least, sets back my
research.

--
Howard Kramer
PhD Candidate