[Air-L] Ethical problem in a Twitter reaserch

Aysenur Ataman aataman at gradcenter.cuny.edu
Mon Dec 18 07:48:30 PST 2017

Hi Lior,

Are you planning on publishing individual tweets verbatim? You mentioned discourse analysis and of course giving some examples of the data is helpful for the reader. However, I’d imagine by having a discussion in your methods section about the hashtag you are working with and stating the reasons why you withdraw from re-purposing those tweets and re-publishing them in another platform, you may still run your analysis.

I work with Instagram photos of children and make sure I include photos with no face in my text. With visual narratives, that’s possible because, thankfully, body posture recognition is not yet on the book. Of course, you cannot blur any words in a tweet or any verbal narrative. I may be wrong to say this but quoting tweets verbatim is problematic not only for minors but for ALL people. What do everyone think?

Ayşenur

Ayşenur Benevento

Ph.D. Candidate in Developmental Psychology
The Graduate Center, City University of New York

Research Associate with Children’s Environment Research Group<http://cergnyc.org/>

www.aysenurataman.com<http://www.aysenurataman.com>