[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 151, Issue 26

Frances Shaw franceshaw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 18:57:49 PST 2017

Hi Roxanne,

Here's a list of refs on hashtags with an activist focus:

Bonilla, Y., & Rosa, J. (2015). #Ferguson: Digital protest, hashtag
ethnography, and the racial politics of social media in the United
States. *American
Ethnologist*, *42*(1), 4–17. https://doi.org/10.1111/amet.12112/pdf

Clark, R. (2014). #NotBuyingIt: Hashtag Feminists Expand the Commercial
Media Conversation. *Feminist Media Studies*, *14*(6), 1108–1110.
https://doi.org/10.1080/14680777.2014.975473

Croeser, S., & Highfield, T. (2014). Occupy Oakland and #oo: Uses of
Twitter within the Occupy movement. *First Monday*, *19*(3).
https://doi.org/10.5210/fm.v19i3.4827

Davis, B. (2013). Hashtag Politics: The Polyphonic Revolution of
#Twitter. *Pepperdine
Journal of Communication Research*, *1*(1), 16–22.

Jackson, S. J., & Foucault Welles, B. (2015). Hijacking #myNYPD: Social
Media Dissent and Networked Counterpublics: Hijacking #myNYPD. *Journal of
Communication*, *65*(6), 932–952. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcom.12185

Loza, S. (2014). Hashtag Feminism, #SolidarityIsForWhiteWomen, and the
Other #FemFuture. *Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media & Technology*, (5).
Retrieved from http://adanewmedia.org/2014/07/issue5-fotopoulouoriordan/

Papacharissi, Z., & de Fatima Oliveira, M. (2012). Affective News and
Networked Publics: The Rhythms of News Storytelling on #Egypt. *Journal of
Communication*, *62*(2), 266–282.
https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2012.01630.x

Rambukanna, N. (2015). From #RaceFail to #Ferguson: The Digital Intimacies
of Race-Activist Hashtag Publics. *The Fibreculture Journal*, (26),
160–189. https://doi.org/10.15307/fcj.26.194.2015

Schiappa, J. (2015). #IfTheyGunnedMeDown: The Necessity of “Black Twitter”
and Hashtags in the Age of Ferguson. *ProudFlesh: New Afrikan Journal of
Culture, Politics and Consciousness*, (10). Retrieved from
http://www.africaknowledgeproject.org/index.php/proudflesh/article/view/2144

Thrift, S. C. (2014). #YesAllWomen as Feminist Meme Event. *Feminist Media
Studies*, *14*(6), 1090–1092. https://doi.org/10.1080/14680777.2014.975421

White, M. (2015). How “your hands look” and “what they can do”:
#ManicureMonday, Twitter, and Useful Media. *Feminist Media Histories*, *1*(2),
4–36. https://doi.org/10.1525/fmh.2015.1.2.004

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 3:42 AM, Marcotte, Roxanne <marcotte.roxanne at uqam.ca
> wrote:

> Dear Sky,
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Kind regards
> Roxanne

Dr Frances Shaw
BA (Hons) UNSW GradDipInfMan UTS PhD UNSW
Postdoctoral Researcher (Applied Ethics) *Black Dog Institute*
Honorary Associate, Media & Communications, *University of Sydney*