[Air-L] Job: Postdoctoral Associate/Associate Director, Design Cultures & Creativity Program

Jason Farman jasonfarman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 12:35:40 PST 2017

Hi everyone,
Please pass this job ad along to anyone who might fit with this position.
Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions about the
job. Thank you for your help!
Best,
Jason
--
Jason Farman, Ph.D.
Director, Design Cultures & Creativity Program

*Position Summary/Purpose of Position:    *

The Design Cultures & Creativity (DCC) Program <http://dcc.umd.edu/> in the
Honors College at the University of Maryland, College Park, seeks to hire
an instructional Postdoctoral Associate to be the Associate Director of DCC
during the 2017-2018 academic year. This is a 12-month appointment that
begins on July 1, 2017. The postdoctoral associate will teach four courses
per year, including two sections of HDCC 106 and two sections of HDCC 208.
The topics of these courses can be tailored to fit the postdoctoral
associate’s areas of interest and expertise. Previous courses have
included: Mobile Media Design and Culture; Time-Based Media; Art and
Environmental Practices; Digital Storytelling; Gender, Race and Labor in
the Digital World; Human-Centered Design; and Digital Media and Political
Activism. We are seeking a candidate who will be an integral part of our
program, a person with vision and skill as an administrator, a gifted
teacher with a passion for undergraduate education, and an
interdisciplinary scholar that can bridge creative practice with research.
The successful candidate must be self-motivated, driven, and an
interdisciplinary thinker/maker able to wear many hats. Administrative,
advising, and program management duties are an important component of this
position. In addition, candidates should be extremely comfortable with a
range of new technologies and approaches to project development. Candidates
must be able link emerging technologies with social implications relating
to identity such as gender, race, class, sexual orientation etc.

*About Design Cultures & Creativity:*
Design Cultures & Creativity (DCC) is a living-learning program for first
and second-year students in the Honors College. Our students, who are some
of the highest achieving students admitted to the University of Maryland,
all live together in the same building, Prince Frederick Hall, which also
houses our classrooms, Lab, and offices. Our program attracts makers and
thinkers who investigate the digital age through interdisciplinary design.
DCC fosters an open, collaborative, and social environment that encourages
students to explore the relationship between emerging media, society, and
creative practices. We are passionate about emerging technologies and their
impact on the world; but even more importantly, how our contributions to
emerging technologies can change the world. DCC students engage in research
and collaborative projects on topics as varied as identity, connectivity,
social justice, art, design, and all things creative in an era when digital
media links us on a scale unprecedented in human history. DCC encourages
students to think beyond disciplinary boundaries and approach problems from
multiple perspectives by providing them with the resources to tackle any
issue or goal they have. Our courses, lab space, and workshops provide
spaces for exploration, for thinking through ideas, and experimenting with
the process of building, designing, and creating in the digital age. DCC
values inclusivity and aims to cultivate lifelong learners who are
critically engaged thinkers. We have an amazingly diverse group of
students, both academically and culturally, who have joined us from 45
different majors across campus and have spoken 29 different languages. Our
students will become the makers and doers of tomorrow, able to expand our
notions of human potential, not merely technologically but also socially
and creatively.

*Campus/College Information    About the University:*
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship
institution in the University System of Maryland. Our 1,250-acre College
Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of
the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This
unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments
and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks,
cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled.
Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are
virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The
University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse
faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three
missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community,
the state of Maryland, and in the world.

*Diversity Statement:   *
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative
action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and
regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The
University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons
and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status,
age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital
status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of
rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment,
educational programs and activities, and admissions.

*Minimum Qualifications: *

   - PhD or equivalent terminal degree in relevant field
   - Degree conferral date no later than July 1, 2017
   - At least 1 year teaching experience at college/university level
   - Administrative skills that prepare you to assist with daily program
   operations such as: event planning, budget and finance management,
   scheduling, recruitment, and student advising.
   - Hands-on skills in digital media. Areas of particular interest
   include: 3D printing or other forms of digital fabrication, video/film,
   generative practices, human-computer interaction, basic electronics,
   gaming, virtual reality, and mobile development/app design.

Posting Number: X0004960
Position Number: 122806
Title: Post-Doctoral Associate
Functional Title: Associate Director
Category Status: 15-Fac.Non-Tenured,Continuing Con
Applicant Search Category: Faculty
University Authorized FTE: 1.0
Unit: ARHU-Dean's-Living Learning Programs

*All applications must be submitted through the online system
at http://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/49708
<http://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/49708>*

In addition to a cover letter and CV, please attach the following required
documents:

   - Supplemental Document 1 – Statement of teaching philosophy that
   addresses how you bridge hands-on creative practices with your areas of
   research
   - Supplemental Document 2 – Creative sample (can be a URL to an online
   portfolio)
   - Reference List – Names and contact information for three references

Additional Information: Salary commensurate with experience.

The position will remain open until filled. Questions about this position
may be sent to Director, Dr. Jason Farman (jfarman at umd.edu), or Associate
Director, Krista Caballero (klc at umd.edu), but all applications must be
submitted through the online system at http://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/49708

Posting Date:    02/17/2017