[Air-L] student guide to IP, internet architecture, proxy servers, etc.?

Jeremy Hunsinger jeremy at tmttlt.com
Wed Feb 15 05:23:16 PST 2017

I do a bit of this in the chapter that starts the social media
handbook, interface and infrastructure of social media. But really I
only do the base amount to start a conversation,
https://www.academia.edu/12296742/Interface_and_Infrastructure_of_Social_Media

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Charles Ess <charles.ess at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm teaching an MA-level course on freedom of expression online, including
> somewhat technical analyses of early claims that the internet "interprets
> censorship as damage and routes around it" through contemporary censorship
> and surveillance efforts, tools for circumventing such efforts (Tor, Walid
> Al-Saqaf's al-kazir tool, and so on), tools for circumventing the
> circumvention (thank you, NSA ... as well as some approaches to Big Data,
> etc.)
> What I'm encountering is, I think, a common issue for which there must be a
> good set of available responses.  That is, many of my students, however
> gifted, skilled, and well-informed they may be on other matters, seem to
> lack a basic understanding of how information gets passed along on the
> internet; what a proxy server is and why / how it works, and so on.  While
> I'm not expecting great depths of technical knowledge, it does seem to me
> that some rudimentary level of knowing how these technologies work is
> necessary, both for a kind of basic information literacy and certainly for
> more considered analyses of censorship, freedom of expression, etc.
> So: suggestions for accessible, student-friendly resources that I can
> recommend and perhaps partly explore with my students that could help begin
> to fill in some of these more technical gaps in their / my knowledge?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> - charles ess
> ==
> Professor in Media Studies
> Department of Media and Communication
> University of Oslo
> <http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/people/aca/charlees/index.html>
>
> Editor, The Journal of Media Innovations
> <https://www.journals.uio.no/index.php/TJMI/>
>
> Postboks 1093
> Blindern 0317
> Oslo, Norway
> c.m.ess at media.uio.no

jeremy hunsinger
Director of Cultural Studies
Communication Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University

Collaboratory for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech
www.tmttlt.com

http://www.stswiki.org/  sts wiki
http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/  Transdisciplinary
Studies:the book series

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it.
-Pablo Picasso