[Air-L] Virtual communities spanning multiple online platforms

Caroline Haythornthwaite chaythor at syr.edu
Mon Feb 20 08:40:41 PST 2017

Other work on multiplexity can be found in social network analysis studies of community — see research of mine suggesting media multiplexity as an attribute of strong ties, e.g.,

Haythornthwaite, C. (2002). Strong, weak and latent ties and the impact of new media. The Information Society, 18(5), 385-401.
Haythornthwaite,Oxford Handbook of Internet Psychology (pp. 121-136). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.

Other social network approach on community, see the work by Keith Hampton, Anabel Quan-Hasse, and the personal network studies by Wellman, and/or this reference:

Rainie, Lee & Wellman, B. (2012). Networked: The New Social Network Operating System. Cambridge, MA: MIT.

Someone else also suggested research on MOOCS, particularly relevant is connectivism by Stephen Downes, Dave Cormier and George Siemens, e.g.

Siemens, George (2005). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, 2(1). Available online at: http://www.itdl.org/journal/jan_05/article01.htm

/Caroline