[Air-L] CFP: Locating the Child in Digital Games Research, workshop at DiGRA2017

Bjorn Nansen nansenb at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Feb 13 19:50:41 PST 2017

We invite submissions for the half-day workshop ‘Locating the Child in Digital Games Research’, to be held as part of the DiGRA 2017 Conference in Melbourne, on morning of July 3rd, 2017. (apologies for cross-posting)

The vast majority of children, including the very young, engage in some kind of digitally mediated play on a regular basis. Of course, ‘play’ and ‘childhood’ are deeply entwined concepts with play deemed necessary and natural for children in contemporary western societies.  However, ‘child’s play’ remains marginal in game studies literature.

The overarching aims of this workshop are:

•         To bring together researchers in games studies whose work includes a focus on children’s digital play.
•         To establish an interdisciplinary dialogue with scholars from a range of fields.

We welcome submissions for participation that describe completed, in progress, or planned research. Relevant theoretical or ‘talking points’ proposals will also be considered. Submissions should consist of an abstract (300-500 words)

More details, including further background to this area of research and key dates, can be found at the conference or workshop website:
http://digra2017.com/workshops/;
http://childrenanddigitalgames.weebly.com/

Key Dates:

• Submission deadline: 7 April, 2017
• Notification: 14 April, 2017
• Workshop date: July 3, 2017

We look forward to your participation! Jane Mavoa & Bjorn Nansen, The University of Melbourne

Dr Bjorn Nansen
Lecturer and Undergraduate Coordinator
Media and Communications Program
The University of Melbourne