[Air-L] Virtual communities spanning multiple online platforms

Nathaniel Poor natpoor at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:36:21 PST 2017

David-

Celia Pearce’s book looks at a game community where the game shut down, and how they dispersed to other platforms, trying to maintain and re-build their original community:
Pearce, C. (2009). Communities of play. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.

I think that’s where she uses the term latitudinal studies, which is great, directly addressing the issue you raise (people use more than one online space, so researchers have to look widely across spaces).

I also have a paper looking at how an in-game community fell apart in the game where it initially formed but mostly stayed connected across different platforms:
Poor, N., & Skoric, M. M. (2014). Death of a guild, birth of a network: Online community ties within and beyond code. Games and Culture, 9(3), 182–202. http://doi.org/10.1177/1555412014537401

Hopefully there are some useful cites to and from those pieces as well.

HTH,
-Nat

Nathaniel Poor, PhD
http://github.com/natpoor <http://github.com/natpoor>