[Air-L] student guide to IP, internet architecture, proxy servers, etc.?

Joseph Reagle joseph.2011 at reagle.org
Wed Feb 15 04:52:39 PST 2017

On 2/15/17 6:37 AM, Charles Ess wrote:
> So: suggestions for accessible, student-friendly resources that I can
> recommend and perhaps partly explore with my students that could help begin
> to fill in some of these more technical gaps in their / my knowledge?

Hi Charles, I used to be fortunate and Jessica McKellar would visit my class [0] and give her Internet 101 talk. She moved to the other coast, but luckily her talk is also on YouTube, so excerpts of that video our now the core of our 101 discussion [1][2]. It doesn't address proxies directly, but it sets the stage for our subsequent discussions about ads, privacy, proxies and the like.

I hope other folks will share their resources as well as I've yet to find readings for that day [0] that I'm completely happy with.

[0]: http://reagle.org/joseph/2017/cda/cda-syllabus-SP.html#jan-20-fri---how-the-web-works
[1]: http://reagle.org/joseph/2017/cda/talks/040-internet-101.html
[2]: http://reagle.org/joseph/2017/cda/handouts/040-internet-101.html