[Air-L] Virtual communities spanning multiple online platforms

Aya Yadlin Segal yadlaya at tamu.edu
Thu Feb 16 11:35:57 PST 2017

Hi David,

Here are some citations that focus on multi-sited research and internet
media:

Hine, C. (2007). Multi-sited ethnography as a middle range methodology for
contemporary STS. *Science, Technology & Human Values*, *32(6),* 652-671.

Wilson, S. M., & Peterson, L. C. (2002). The anthropology of online
communities. *Annual review of anthropology*, *31,* 449-467.

Larsen, J. (2008). Practices and flows of digital photography: An
ethnographic framework. *Mobilities*, *3(1)*, 141-160.

Charmarkeh, H. (2013). Social Media Usage, Tahriib (Migration), and
Settlement among Somali Refugees in France. *Refuge: Canada's journal on
refugees*, *29*(1).

Aouragh, M. (2008). Everyday resistance on the Internet: The Palestinian
context. *Journal of Arab & Muslim Media Research*, *1(2),* 109-130.

Ostrander, M. (2008). Talking, looking, flying, searching: Information
seeking behavior in Second Life. *Library Hi Tech*, *26(4),* 512-524.

Gatson, S. N., & Zweerink, A. (2004). Ethnography online: ‘natives’
practicing and inscribing community. *Qualitative Research*, *4(2),*
179-200.

Other than that, in my own work on "online homelands" I utilize multi-sited
ethnography to follow users within and between different online and offline
spaces. Would love to share the work directly with your student.

Aya