[Air-L] Call for Participation: Symposium on Media, Communication, and Film Studies Programs at Liberal Arts Colleges, May 23-24, 2017

Jeff Pooley pooley at muhlenberg.edu
Wed Jan 4 13:23:07 PST 2017

Call for Participation: Symposium on Media, Communication, and Film Studies
Programs at Liberal Arts Colleges, May 23-24, 2017

Deadline for submissions: February 10, 2017

Media, Communication, and Film Studies Programs at Liberal Arts Colleges
(MCFLAC) invites proposals for papers, panels, and exhibits for a two-day
symposium, to be held at Colby College in Waterville, Maine. The symposium
will bring together faculty engaged in the scholarly and pedagogical praxis
of media, communication, and film studies in the liberal arts context for
two days of resource sharing, student-work showcases, workshops, and panel
sessions.

Building off the momentum of last year’s inaugural symposium, at Muhlenberg
College, this year’s theme is “Revolutions.” We have chosen this theme in
keeping with Colby College’s Center for the Arts and Humanities year-long
focus, which is broadly conceived to encompass revolutions in the
“political, literary, artistic, cultural, social, scientific, …
conceptual,” and, we suggest, pedagogical and institutional realms.

We invite proposals (250 to 500 words) that engage with our theme,
including:

* Revolutionary approaches to teaching
* Teaching about revolutions--past and present
* Revolutionizing the (increasingly neoliberal) institutional structures in
which we are located
* Mobilizing theory and pedagogy to facilitate revolutionary thinking
* Analyzing the impact of ongoing revolutionary changes (sociocultural,
economic, epistemological) upon our work in liberal education, including
ideas for redirecting, capitalizing and/or adapting.
* Interrogating the “revolutionary” rhetoric around higher education, with
the liberal arts college said to be ripe for “disruption”
* Responding to the Trump “revolution” and its reverberations on our
campuses

Preference will be given to submissions that fit the symposium theme, but
we welcome submissions on all topics reflecting MCFLAC’s unique emphasis on
praxis in liberal arts settings. We seek to bring together a diverse group
of teachers, scholars, and students, from different backgrounds with
various life experiences, teaching styles, and intellectual orientations.

Presentation formats include:

* individual paper abstracts
* panel session abstracts (identifying three to four participants)
* student-work showcases (featuring scholarship, media work, and/or hybrids
in digital or other formats)
* pedagogy workshops (on core assignments, capstone courses, and/or
pedagogical techniques)
* research workshops (on projects, strategies, publishing models, and/or
research/exhibit and tools)
* Additional formats considered

*** In addition to these formats, we invite submissions for 3-minute short
cuts: lightning fast presentations in which participants give a quick
run-down of innovative or useful tech tools, assignments, teaching
strategies etc. The presentations are three minutes long and we ask you to
use one slide per minute. Please label your “short cut” submissions
accordingly.

Please include a brief bio and note any technology requirements with your
proposal. Include your bio, proposal, and tech needs in one PDF document
and attach to an email addressed to Beth Corzo-Duchardt, at
bcorzo-duchardt at muhlenberg.edu If you are submitting a short cut proposal
in addition to another proposal, please attach as a separate document.

Deadline for submissions: February 10, 2017
Questions? Contact Beth Corzo Duchardt, at bcorzo-duchardt at muhlenberg.edu
For more information mcflac.com