[Air-L] Research Methods for Digital Work call for papers

Christine Hine christine.hine at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 5 02:29:37 PST 2017

Research Methods for Digital Work: Innovative Methods for Studying
Distributed and Multi-modal Working Practices

Call for papers

University of Surrey, Guildford, UK, 25-26 May 2017

Keynote speakers:

Diane E. Bailey
<https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/people/person_details?PersonID=153>
Associate Professor in School of Information at the University of Texas at
Austin

 <http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sociology/about-us/people/monika-buscher>
Monika Büscher Professor of Sociology, Director of the Centre for Mobilities
Research and Associate Director for the Institute for Social Futures at
Lancaster University

<http://www.uva.nl/over-de-uva/organisatie/medewerkers/content/r/o/r.a.roger
s/r.a.rogers.html> Richard Rogers Professor in New Media and Digital
Culture, University of Amsterdam

We are inviting contributions that present innovative methods for the study
of working practices, particularly those that present the method in the
context of successful use within a research project. We welcome papers that
involve practical demonstration of an approach to data capture or an
analytic technique.

Full "call for papers" available at
http://www.ias.surrey.ac.uk/workshops/workpractices/cfp.php

Key themes at the meeting are likely to include:

*	·         capturing transitions between modes of work: what methods
can we use to explore how, when and why people switch between online and
offline?

*	·         capturing experiences of fluid, unpredictable work: how
can we employ observational and diary-based techniques effectively under
such circumstances?

*	·         quantitative approaches and logging across media: how can
we build approaches that exploit the richness of data provided by individual
media but also recognise the complexity of transitions between media? Where
are “Big Data” approaches helpful?

*	·         how to research screen-work: what new methods for
understanding what is happening when a worker engages with a screen have
become available?

*	·         private and professional social media: how can our
research methods enable us to understand transitions between formal
work-spaces and personal online interactions?

*	·         mixing methods for study of work: what challenges and
opportunities emerge when we attempt to combine different methods for
capturing the experience of work?

Extended abstracts of no more than 1500 words should be submitted by 31st
January 2017 using the online submission form at
<http://www.ias.surrey.ac.uk/workshops/workpractices/cfp.php>
http://www.ias.surrey.ac.uk/workshops/workpractices/cfp.php

Following the meeting we anticipate production of an edited volume drawing
on papers presented at the meeting.  Contributions from international
scholars and early career researchers are particularly welcomed.
Participation will be limited to 50 attendees. Registration fees are £60
(£40 for students/unwaged). Attendees will be responsible for their own
travel and accommodation – links to local accommodation will be available at
the time of registration via the event website
<http://www.ias.surrey.ac.uk/workshops/workpractices/>
http://www.ias.surrey.ac.uk/workshops/workpractices/

The meeting is being organized by Christine Hine (University of Surrey),
Katrina Pritchard (Open University) and Gillian Symon (Royal Holloway,
University of London) in association with the Digital World Research Centre
at the University of Surrey. The meeting has received funding from the
Institute of Advanced Studies at the University of Surrey and the
RCUK-funded NEMODE Network Plus.