[Air-L] call for contributions, remixing Life O̶n̶l̶i̶n̶e̶

Katrin Tiidenberg katrin.tiidenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 10:14:01 PST 2017

Dear all,

please join us / share with people who you think might be interested in this call.

Call for contributions: Remixing Life O̶n̶l̶i̶n̶e̶

In 1998, Annette Markham proposed a framework of the internet as a tool, as a place and as a way of being. In the introduction of her book “Life Online: Researching Real Experience in Virtual Space” she writes:

“I wanted to know why people spent so much time online. I wondered what cyberspace meant to them, how it affected or changed their lives. I wanted to know how they were making sense of their experiences as they shifted between being in the physical world and being in these textual worlds created by the exchange of messages, where they could re-create their bodies, or leave them behind. I decided to go online to talk with some of the people who spend extensive time there. In this book, I tell the story of what it took for me to get connected and of what and whom I encountered once I was there. Through my experiences and my conversations with others, I provide an interpretation of some of the ways users (including myself) are making sense of their experiences online.”

Since 1995-6, when this research was conducted, various metaphors have thrived and dwindled to help us make sense of and explain our experiences with and in digital, web, internet-mediated, or technologically saturated contexts. Cyberspace and the Electronic Frontier gave way to The Information Superhighway. The Net became the World Wide Web, which morphed into social networks, networked societies, and convergence culture. What was once called digital is now often called smart.

As the internet has become more mobile and ubiquitous, it is predominantly experienced as a way of being. We suggest this as a starting point for thinking about how people experience their everyday lives in the 21st century. We are now inviting collaboration for a book that extends Markham’s 1998 ethnographic work “Life Online.”

We are inviting stories of life o̶n̶l̶i̶n̶e̶ twenty years later.

This book will combine ethnographic accounts with evocative interludes. Thus, we welcome proposals for creative renderings in addition to more traditional qualitative or ethnographic scholarship.

Please send a 250-300 word abstract for scholarly contributions or short proposals for creative pieces to katrin.tiidenberg at gmail.com <http://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=mailto%3Akatrin.tiidenberg%40gmail.com&t=Njg1NTkxYTVlMDdiMjk0ZjRhZjI3NWFjZGZmY2UyNjhkMGRiNmQ5YyxTNHZVV0dEcA%3D%3D&b=t%3AFIopmBfsfu4HQGZhVKGtKA&p=http%3A%2F%2Fkkatot.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F153912730442%2Fcall-for-contributions-remixing-life&m=1> by February 1, 2017. We anticipate that all collaborators will work closely to create something that is more like a co-created yet curated exhibition than a traditional edited volume of isolated pieces around a single theme. Therefore, if you have an idea in early stages of formation, please contact us to brainstorm.

The book is curated by Annette Markham and Katrin Tiidenberg. It will be in English, but we hope to create a work that is both transnational and intersectional.

The call is also available here:http://kkatot.tumblr.com/post/153912730442/call-for-contributions-remixing-life <http://kkatot.tumblr.com/post/153912730442/call-for-contributions-remixing-life>

thank you,

Kat Tiidenberg
Aarhus University, postdoctoral researcher
Tallinn University, Associate Professor of Social Media and Visual Culture
@kkatot
http://kkatot.tumblr.com/ <http://kkatot.tumblr.com/>