[Air-L] Extended Deadline for Spectating Play (Apr 24-25, Tampere)

Olli Sotamaa olli.sotamaa at uta.fi
Mon Jan 16 03:27:48 PST 2017

Due to popular demand, we have decided to extend the abstract deadline for
our seminar. The new deadline is Wednesday the 25th of January. See the CFP
at: spectatingplay.com

We have also announced our first expert commentator: we warmly welcome
professor Tanja Sihvonen from the University of Vaasa as our first keynote
speaker and commentator for the event!

Hope to see you in Tampere in April,

Olli

Olli Sotamaa // Associate Professor

Game Research Lab // University of Tampere

---

Spectating play (Apr 24-25, Tampere)

Watching play unfold is almost as pervasive as play itself. Today,
developments such as let's plays, eSports, and streaming have made
spectating play an important mode of engaging with digital games.
Historically, sporting arenas have brought together not only skillful
athletes, but huge crowds of spectators. The audience has an effect on the
play, from the cheering of the fans of the home team, to rule changes
implemented in sports in order to make them more television friendly. The
spectator experience places different design considerations on a game than
that of the player experience.

Spectating Play is the 13th annual spring seminar organized by University of
Tampere Game Research Lab. The seminar welcomes any and all scholarly work
on the intersection of audiences and game/play. The seminar will be held in
Tampere, Finland and will be free of charge; the number of participants will
be restricted.

http://spectatingplay.com/