[Air-L] “Giving Voice: Mobile Communication, Disability, and Inequality” by Meryl Alper, now available through The MIT Press

Meryl Alper m.alper at northeastern.edu
Thu Jan 26 11:11:23 PST 2017

Dear friends and colleagues,

I'm pleased to announce the recent publication of my book through The MIT
Press:

*Giving Voice: Mobile Communication, Disability, and Inequality*

*How communication technologies meant to empower people with speech
disorders—to give voice to the voiceless—are still subject to disempowering
structural inequalities.*

“*Giving Voice* reopens the venerable question of new media’s effects on
young people in invigorating ways, both through its ethnographic focus on
iPad adoption and through its nuanced account of the meaning of voices and
voice technologies. I came away from this book impressed at how difficult
it is now, as perhaps it has ever been, to distinguish between face-to-face
and mediated communication. Alper shows just how complex any interface
between people can be!” —*John Durham Peters*, Professor of English and
Film and Media Studies, Yale University; author of *The Marvelous Clouds*

Until 3/1/17, friends and colleagues can receive a special *30% discount*
on the book’s list price when ordering it directly through the MIT Press
website at https://mitpress.mit.edu/giving-voice). Use digital discount
code *MALPER30 *when prompted during checkout. This code can be used more
than once, for multiple copies, and for both print and e-editions as they
become available.

Additionally, if you are in the Boston/Cambridge, MA area, there will be a
book release event/signing at The MIT Press Bookstore on February 28 at 6
pm. I will also be in NYC and LA in the coming months, with more locations
to be added: https://merylalper.com/giving-voice/.

If you are interested in hosting a book talk, or are a journalist seeking a
review copy, please feel free to reach out at m.alper at northeastern.edu.

With thanks and best wishes,

Meryl Alper

--
*Meryl Alper*
Assistant Professor
m.alper at northeastern.edu
merylalper.com
Author, *Giving Voice: Mobile Communication, Disability, and Inequality* (MIT
Press <https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/giving-voice>, Amazon
<https://www.amazon.com/Giving-Voice-Communication-Disability-Inequality/dp/0262533979/>
)