[Air-L] CFP: Visualizing (in) the New Media (Switzerland)

Alice E. Marwick amarwick at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 06:53:03 PST 2017

I'm passing this along at the behest of my dear friend Crispin Thurlow.
Please send inquiries to him (crispin.thurlow at ens.unibe.ch) and not me!
Thank you!

Alice

Visualizing (in) the New Media
Neuchâtel, Switzerland - 08-10 November 2017

http://www.unine.ch/vinm2017

In November 2017, the Universities of Neuchâtel, Zurich and Bern in
Switzerland will host the first international conference to focus
specifically on visual communication in/about new media. In this regard, we
invite the submission of abstracts for scholarly presentations in any of
four overlapping thematic areas.

1. Social interaction

Here, we envisage presentations that focus on the communicative uses of
visual resources in the context of new media; for example: orthography and
typography, graphematic design, the use of emojis (pictograms, emoticons,
smilies), and/or the social-interactional uses of video, GIFs and
non-moving images.

2. Meta-discourse

Here, we envisage presentations that focus on people’s talk or writing
about visual practices; for example: journalistic commentary about visual
practices in new media (the use of emojis, for instance) or communicators’
discussions about their own or others’ visual practices in new media spaces.

3. Visual ideologies

Here, we envisage presentations that focus on the visual depiction of new
media in, for example, the context of commercial advertising, print or
broadcast news, cinema and television narratives and/or public policy and
educational settings.

4. Industrial design

Here, we envisage presentations that focus on perspectives related to, for
example, the visual-material design of technologies and apps, as well as
the look or layout of screen interfaces, especially insofar as they concern
the communicative (as opposed to technical) affordances of new media.

In selecting presentations, the conference team will privilege those
adopting a multimodal approach to visual communication; in other words,
studies that focus on visuality but attend to its interaction with other
communicative modes – especially linguistic ones. We take a broad and
critical approach to labels like “new”, “digital” and “mobile” as they are
applied to communication technologies; we are nonetheless principally
interested in more current, social, interactive media spaces such as
micro-blogging, messaging, forums, gaming, video- and photo-sharing, and
social networking.

The principal language of the conference will be English; however, the
conference team welcome presentations and posters presented in German,
French, and Italian (ideally, with slides or handouts offered in English).
In such an interdisciplinary field, we also invite presenters to use their
preferred style of delivery, whether it’s a read paper, an unscripted
slideshow or some combination of the two.

Titles, abstracts and basic biographical information should be submitted
using our online submission system available here:
https://www.conftool.net/vinm2017/ . Abstracts should be between 300 and
500 words and written in the same language as the presentation or poster.
If the abstract is in a language other than English, please provide a list
of five keywords in English. We ask that you also indicate which of our
four thematic areas (above) your paper addresses as well as if it is a
presentation or a poster. The deadline for proposals is February 28th 2017
with an anticipated decision date of April 30th 2017.

--
Alice E. Marwick, PhD
Fellow, Data & Society
amarwick at gmail.com