[Air-L] Academic articles on social media hostility/abuse/harassment

Emma A. Jane ej at emmajane.info
Thu Jan 5 13:46:51 PST 2017

Hi Galen

(seconding Paula’s humble pie + ice cream alert with added apology for holiday-induced response tardiness)

My research focuses mostly on gendered cyberhate. I’ve published a book tracking the history of misogyny online (there’s a free sample chapter here https://au.sagepub.com/en-gb/oce/misogyny-online/book245572 <https://au.sagepub.com/en-gb/oce/misogyny-online/book245572>), as well as some journal articles. On a less orthodox note, I’ve also used 18 years of archived rape threats and sexualised vitriol to build a Random Rape Threat Generator - www. <http://www.rapeglish.com/>rapeglish.com <http://rapeglish.com/> (serious NSFW warning) - to demonstrate the formulaic and machine-like qualities of the discourse. The generator’s input data and a list of sources for this data are both available on the site if you are interested in looking at a large number of examples of this sort of “Rapeglish”.

As others have pointed out, Danielle Keats Citron, Karla Mantilla and Paula Todd have all published books looking at various aspects of these issues from various angles, and there is also the excellent work of my Australian colleagues Abigail Powell and Nicola Henry.

Finally, the Women’s Media Center Speech Project site http://wmcspeechproject.com/ <http://wmcspeechproject.com/> also has a fantastic list of resources including links to recent research findings, stats, etc.

Hope this is of some help - and all the very best with your research. It’s so great that so much new work being done in this area.

Cheers

Emma

Dr Emma A. Jane | Senior Lecturer and Australian Research Council DECRA Fellow | School of the Arts & Media | University of New South Wales 2052 Australia | e: emma.jane at unsw.edu.au <mailto:emma.jane at unsw.edu.au>
https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/emma-a-jane/ <https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/emma-a-jane/>

www.emmajane.info <http://www.emmajane.info/>