[Air-L] Facebook Post Content Analysis

Jeanine Finn jefinn at utexas.edu
Tue Jan 17 09:20:28 PST 2017

There are many different methods of data analysis - it depends of course on the research question and the unit of analysis.

If you are looking at single posts in isolation - that strikes me as somewhat more difficult than looking at threads or networks. Content analysis techniques can work and I’ve also seen discourse analytic approaches.

The book Digital Methods by Richard Rogers might be a good overview.

I like the work of Zizi Papacharissi (http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1461444808099577) as an example of a well-informed application looking at presentations of identity in a somewhat anthropological way.

Good luck!

Jeanine

Jeanine Finn, PhD
Researcher