[Air-L] Microsoft sued by its own Commercial Content Moderators

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Jan 11 19:51:25 PST 2017

At PlatformCoop 2016​ Kristy Milland, TurkerNation organizer, touched on
this when talking Amazon Mechanical Turk working conditions.

https://archive.org/download/platformcoop16/03_Worker's%20Voices%202%20-%20From%20Digital%20Worker%20Subsistence%20to%20Organized%20Resistance.mp4

3. Worker's Voices 2 - From Digital Worker Subsistence to Organized
Resistance (19 mins)

Kristy Milland, TurkerNation -- If Amazon Mechanical Turk (mTurk) were a
boss, one would guess that it hated its employees. This has driven mTurk
workers (Turkers) to fight back in a variety of ways, some of which may be
useful to those fighting their own battles in other sectors. From rating
customers to writing letters to awakening class consciousness to writing
rules about what is ethical customer and platform behaviour, a variety of
techniques are being tried in the attempt to make online work more
bearable. A good work environment does not have to remain a dream, it can
be something we realize together. I will take you from today’s mTurk to
what online crowd platforms could be, so we can work together to fix the
future of work.