[Air-L] UCLA Post-Doctoral Research Position to Study Data and Software Practices in Science

Irene Pasquetto irenepasquetto87 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 06:25:10 PDT 2017

*Please distribute widely - Apologies for cross-posting*
Thank you,
Irene

UCLA Post-Doctoral Research Position to Study Data and Software Practices
in Science

One-year appointment
<https://knowledgeinfrastructures.gseis.ucla.edu/?p=733> beginning October
1, 2017, with the possibility of renewal to summer 2019. Posted June 14,
2017; review of applications begins July 15, 2017; submission deadline is July
30, 2017.

The UCLA Center for Knowledge Infrastructures seeks a postdoctoral
researcher to join our research project (2015-2019), If Data Sharing is the
Answer, What is the Question? https://knowledgeinfrastructur
es.gseis.ucla.edu/. We are conducting interview, ethnographic, and document
studies of scientific data practices such as data collection, analysis,
management, sharing, and reuse in astronomy, earth sciences, and health
sciences. This project is funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, Program
in Digital Information Technology https://sloan.org/programs/dig
ital-technology

The postdoctoral researcher will participate in our team project to develop
a new research theme on the interdependencies of data and software in
scientific practices, and the resulting challenges for data reuse,
stewardship, and sustainability. The researcher will collect new data, mine
a 15-year trove of data for comparative analyses, and participate actively
in the collaboration, including the design, conduct, and analysis of
interviews, document analysis, ethnographic fieldwork, and writing for
publication. The postdoctoral researcher will gain experience in
collaborative research, research project organization, and digital data
research practices. The project is based at the University of California at
Los Angeles (UCLA) and residence nearby is required for the duration of the
postdoctoral research appointment. Some travel is required for research and
conferences.

Required background includes completion of the Ph.D.; social science
research experience in conducting interviews, document analysis, or
ethnography; strong writing skills, research experience studying any of the
physical sciences or life sciences; and substantial knowledge of scholarly
communication, practice, and policy in data-driven research. Preferred
background includes expertise in knowledge organization, an academic
background in the sciences, experience in Information Studies or Science,
Technology, and Society studies; and experience in qualitative data
analysis, especially NVIVO.

Please submit a statement of interest that discusses your qualifications
and interests with respect to the required and preferred background for the
position. Your application should also include two scholarly writing
samples (e.g., refereed journal articles or conference papers,
dissertation), curriculum vitae, and a list of three references. Send these
to Prof. Christine Borgman, PI, Christine.Borgman at ucla.edu.

The starting salary is $50,000 per year, plus benefits. Selected candidate
may enroll in UC sponsored benefits or opt out. Official documentation for
completion of the Ph.D. is required (certificate of completion, transcript,
or diploma).

Work is to be done 12 months of the year, excluding university holidays;
the postdoctoral researcher is entitled to 24 paid personal days and 12
paid sick days per year.  For further information about postdoctoral
appointments at UCLA: http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/postdocs.html

Postdoctoral Researchers at UC are represented by UAW Local 5810.
http://uaw5810.org/

Interviews will be conducted at UCLA or by videoconference.

The Center for Knowledge Infrastructures
<https://knowledgeinfrastructures.gseis.ucla.edu/> is located in the UCLA
Department of Information Studies and directed by Christine L. Borgman
<http://christineborgman.info/>, Distinguished Professor and Presidential
Chair in Information Studies. We conduct research on scientific data
practices and policy, scholarly communication, and socio-technical systems.
We also mentor students, post-doctoral fellows, and visiting scholars in
these areas. Our largest current project, titled If Data Sharing is the
Answer, What is the Question?, is funded by the Digital Information
Technology Program of the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
<http://www.sloan.org/major-program-areas/digital-information-technology/>
#2015‐14001. This three-year project is studying data practices, policy,
and infrastructure of four distributed scientific collaborations, exploring
methods of data collection and management, innovations in scaling and
workflows, and multidisciplinary approaches to complex problems. We
continue to publish findings from our previous three-year Sloan Foundation
project #2011-3194, The Transformation of Knowledge, Culture, and Practice
in Data-Driven Science: A Knowledge Infrastructures Perspective. Also in
progress is a study of the uses and users of digital data archives,
conducted in cooperation with DANS, the Digital Archiving and Networked
Services program in the Netherlands. Research in the Center also has been
funded by grants from the National Science Foundation and gifts from
Microsoft Research.
Christine L. Borgman, Distinguished Professor & Presidential Chair
in Information Studies, UCLA
Director, UCLA *Center for Know**ledge Infrastructures*
@scitechprof