[Air-L] CFP: All Things in Moderation: The People, Practices and Politics of Online Content Review – Human and Machine Dec 6-7 2017, UCLA

Sarah T. Roberts sarah.roberts at ucla.edu
Mon Jul 31 16:08:03 PDT 2017

Greetings, AoIR -

It’s my great pleasure to announce the following event and related CFP. On December 6-7 2017, UCLA’s Department of Information Studies, part of the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, welcomes participants to a two-day conference on commercial content moderation (CCM) of user-generated social media material.

At All Things in Moderation: The People, Practices and Politics of Online Content Review – Human and Machine we will offer a new forum bringing together those interested in the multiple challenges related to CCM, and to content moderation of all kinds. The goal of this foundational event is to map the current landscape from a number of perspectives. During these two days, scholars, students, journalists, policy makers and CCM workers will share their insights in order to generate a discussion about the challenges, methodologies and frameworks that are necessary to integrate a comprehensive, academic study of commercial content moderation, other kinds of online moderation, and its outcomes and implications into existing paradigms in labor studies, information studies, computing and internet history, public policy, internet governance and media studies, to name but a few.

Beyond analyzing the contemporary case of CCM across the social media and other digital industries, we anticipate that All Things in Moderation will require a look to the past and to other media sectors, as well as a gaze into the future, to anticipate the problems related to CCM and to our social media-reliant world, and to collectively think about solutions. We anticipate a fruitful gathering.

Please join us on the beautiful UCLA campus this December. The conference is _free_ for participants, but space is limited. Please register early (https://atm-ucla2017.net/registration/)  and visit the call for participation (https://atm-ucla2017.net/about/)  to submit your proposals for papers, sessions and other interventions.

We look forward to hosting you at UCLA!

Sarah T. Roberts, Ph.D., Conference Convener

Patricia Ciccone, Conference Coordinator