[Air-L] pre-AoIR workshop: Less Hate in Politics! Machine Learning and Interventions to Mitigate Online Hate Speech (Oct 18)

Salla-M Laaksonen (Ms) salla.laaksonen at helsinki.fi
Wed Jul 19 05:13:51 PDT 2017

If heading to AoIR 2017, consider also joining our preconference on hate
speech recognition and prevention!

an AoIR 2017 Preconference workshop:

* * *
Less Hate in Politics! Machine Learning and Interventions as Tools to
Mitigate Online Hate Speech in Political Campaigns
* * *

Oct 18th, 9 am - 12:30 pm
Dorpat Convention Centre, Tartu, Estonia

Discriminating, hateful speech online, often targeting specific groups
and minorities, has become a pressing problem in the societies. Hateful
speech is a form of verbal violence that creates enemities, silences
debates, and marginalizes individuals and groups from participation online.

What is challenging is that ‘hate speech’ has come to mean a variety of
speech acts and other ill-behaviours online, ranging from penal criminal
acts to speech which is uncivil and disturbing, but yet to be tolerated.
This definitional difficulty is further abused in claims that any
limitations of hate speech endanger people’s right to freedom of expression.

Hate speech has been criminalized in many countries and major Internet
companies also engage in efforts to limit it. While many social media
platforms allow users to flag content as hate speech for moderation
purposes, no official follow-up actions take place. Furthermore, the
automatic identification of hate speech is limited by lacking tools.

* Pre-conference workshop aim and content *

The aim of the workshop is to facilitate the development of tools and
processes how the academic community could run interventions which aim
to decrease the toxicity in the online space.

We will provide participants a kick-start with computational tools for
hate speech recognition. We will also discuss and reflect the challenges
of such interventions and examine the opportunities and problems of
deploying such systems. Our own experiences – which we reflect in the
workshop – emerge from a project where the social media activity of
candidates was monitored during the Finnish municipal election campaigns
in April 2017.

The workshop will follow an interactive style using both online and
offline tools to facilitate discussion.

More details on the AoIR website:
https://aoir.org/aoir2017/preconworkshop/#LHP

Registration for the preconference is done via the main conference
registration form.

--
Salla-M Laaksonen // @jahapaula
PhD Researcher