[Air-L] Fan Studies Network Australasia 2017 conference CfP -- DEADLINE EXTENDED

Bertha Chin bertha.chin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 21:26:33 PDT 2017

*Apologies for cross-posting

*Call for Papers*

*Fan Studies Network Australasia 2017*

30 November - 1 December 2017

University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Keynote Speaker: Prof. Matt Hills, University of Huddersfield (UK)

We are pleased to announce a CFP for the first Fan Studies Network
Australasia conference to be held at the University of Wollongong,
Australia from 30 November – 1 December 2017 hosted by the Research Centre
for Culture Texts and Creative Industries (CTC). As research and interest
on fandom gather momentum in Australia, New Zealand and Asia at large, the
Fan Studies Network is very keen to foster new connections and resources.
This inaugural conference for scholars based in the region is the first
step in establishing an Australasian branch of the FSN.

We invite abstracts of no more than 300 words for individual 20 minute
papers that address any aspect of fandom or fan studies. We also welcome
submissions for pre-constituted panels (for 3-4 speakers/papers). We
encourage all those engaged in fan studies as well as those existing
members of the network to submit proposals for presentations on, but not
limited to, the following possible topics:

– Fandom in Asia, Australia and/or New Zealand

– Non-Western fan cultures

– Producer-audience interactions

– Activism and fandom

– Ethics in fan studies

– Defining fandom

– Anti-Fandom and Non-Fandom

– Fan use of social media platforms

– Fandom (and) controversies

– The future of fan studies

Please send any inquiries and/or abstracts to fsnaustralasia at gmail.com by *25th
August 2017*.

Conference organisers: Dr. Bertha Chin, Dr. Renee Middlemost, Prof. Sue
Turnbull, Dr. Ika Willis

W: https://fanstudies.org/ | FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fanstudies/

T: @FSNAusAsia (hashtag #FSNA2017) | DL: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/fanstudies

*About the Fan Studies Network:*

Since March 2012, the Fan Studies Network has provided a friendly space
with which scholars from all disciplines who are interested in fans and fan
culture can connect, share resources, and develop their research ideas. In
June 2017, the network will hold its fifth annual conference at the
University of Huddersfield, UK. Each year has seen the network grow
exponentially, as the mailing list and conference attract more scholars
interested in fan studies from all over the world.

--
Dr. Bertha Chin
Lecturer & Coordinator, Social Media