[Air-L] New Research on Free Basics, by Global Voices

Sarah Myers West sarahmye at usc.edu
Thu Jul 27 07:41:47 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Just wanted to share some new research published by Global Voices, a
citizen media network I’m a part of.

A team of researchers from six countries (Colombia, Ghana, Kenya, Mexico,
Pakistan and the Philippines) ran tests and evaluated Facebook’s Free
Basics app against a set of usability and open internet benchmarks.

The report is available here:
https://advox.globalvoices.org/2017/07/27/can-facebook-connect-the-next-billion/

The Guardian also just published a piece on it here:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/27/facebook-free-basics-developing-markets

The team is really hoping that other researchers in the internet policy
space will use this as a starting point for doing deeper research on Free
Basics and other zero-rating projects - and they've made an archive of
materials from their research available for others to dig in to.

If anyone is interested or already doing related work, let me know and I’ll
be happy to connect you!

Best,

Sarah

--