[Air-L] TT job in data, media & identity at AU

Aram Sinnreich aram at american.edu
Mon Jul 3 09:49:11 PDT 2017

Fellow AoIRers,
Please help spread the word. We’re hiring for a very cool job at American University. Full details here: https://apply.interfolio.com/42882 [https://apply.interfolio.com/42882]
The School of Communication at American University, Washington, D.C., invites applications for a full-time, tenured or tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor in the Communication Studies Division beginning August 1, 2018. Applicants should have a PhD or an anticipated PhD completion by August 2018 in Communication, Media Studies, Science and Technology Studies, or a related field. This search fits the Big Data area in the AU2030 initiative.
QualificationsOur ideal candidate will be an emerging or established thought-leader in the field of Communication or related fields, with a strong record of publication and/or funding. Methodologically, we are looking for a candidate who brings expertise in quantitative, data analytical, mixed, and/or emerging methods. In terms of scholarship, we are looking for a candidate who focuses on the intersection of data, media, and race and identity. Our ideal candidate would also be a strong teacher, with a track record of mentorship at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Newer scholars should indicate an authentic commitment to pedagogy and an active strategy to develop this skill set.

In the Communication Studies division at SOC, which houses our doctoral program, we seek to strengthen leadership, scholarship and teaching that is driven by empirical methods — primarily quantitative, but also discursive and cultural in nature. This position will be vital to advising, mentoring and teaching within the doctoral program, and will include teaching duties within our undergraduate and masters programs as well. We are also looking for thought leadership in advancing a critical understanding of data, data systems, and communication industries; that is, the ideal candidate will not only know how to work with new sources and structures of data methodologically, but also how to research, evaluate and critique the role of data as a medium of social power in our increasingly networked society.

Aram Sinnreich
Associate Professor
American University SOC [https://www.american.edu/soc/]
Research Fellow