[Air-L] Question about communication history

Alex Leavitt alexleavitt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 16:37:05 PDT 2017

Not an internet question, but maybe people are familiar enough with
communications technology to give some pointers:

I've gotten REALLY into communications infrastructure history recently.
There's a ton documented on World War 1 and 2, but less on the American
Civil War. I'm looking specifically for documentation of non-war
communication tools: less about war participants and more about ordinary
people's communication patterns (letters, telegraph, photography,
newspapers, etc.). Namely, what was an American before and during the Civil
War doing to learn about the state of the nation? Does anyone have any good
sources to look at?

Thanks!
Alex