[Air-L] WEBCAST TODAY: Kenya Internet Governance Forum #KIGF2017

Ben Towne wbt at alumni.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 7 15:26:50 PDT 2017

There was some interesting commentary about the chilling effects of US
government surveillance, even in the lives of everyday people in countries
an ocean away.

"I'll be honest, privacy is dead.  I'm sorry. In my own life, I just think
privacy is finished...I think it's a good ideal, but I think it's over (in
my own opinion). ...Even at this moment, everybody here is revealing
themselves in 101 different ways.  And if you're not revealing yourself to
the Kenyan government, whom you seem to be very afraid of, the US
government can listen to your calls at this very minute, if they want to.
Yeah. So, sorry. Forget it. And think of something else and try to live
your life in a holy and righteous way where you are not afraid of
[revealing] what you do." -ICT secretary Dr. Kate Getao, employed by (but
not speaking officially on behalf of) the government of Kenya, at 1:21:00
Kenya Internet Governance Forum: "The Internet in the Next Five Years"
panel.
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/kigf2017/videos/159406169>

Best wishes,
Ben