[Air-L] Teaching: Replacing *NetSmart* (2012)

Mathias Klang mathiasklang at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 07:33:28 PDT 2017

I am going to use Mary Chayko's Superconnected and Simon Lindgren's
Digital Media & Society as the main books for my new courses. Both are
recent (2016/2017) and not too expensive (relatively)

Mathias

> Joseph Reagle <mailto:joseph.2011 at reagle.org>
> July 13, 2017 at 08:41
> For the last five years I've been using Howard Rheingold's *Net Smart:
> How To Thrive Online* (2012). It's been great because it introduces
> lots of important ideas in the context of learning how to be a more
> informed and capable netizen. For example, how to be mindful,
> skeptical, and make use of the power of social networks.
>
> Five years on, though, the book is a bit dated (e.g., discussion of
> the del.icio.us social bookmarking site). I am thinking I should look
> for alternatives. I don't think I'll be able to find a single book to
> replace it, but I hope to find a more current reading or two (perhaps
> chapters from different books) that cover similar ground.
>
> I welcome recommendations!
>

> "Attention," ch=1
> : multi-tasking; executive control; intention & mindfulness when online
>
> - Alex Soojung-Kim Pang, *The Distraction Addiction* (2013).
> Excellent, but a whole book rather than a chapter or two.
>

> "Crap detection," ch=2
> : appropriate skepticism, finding credible sources, fake news
>

> "Participation power," ch=3
> : participatory culture, folksonomy, playbor
>

> "Social-digital know-how," ch=4
> : evolution of cooperation, Dunbar's number and scale, social dilemmas
> (tragedy of commons, public goods, prisoner's dilemma)
>

> "Social has a shape," ch=5
> : strength of weak ties, 80/20, long tail
>

> I've put this in a Google Doc too, if you want to make a suggestion there.
>
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hb5_jZAOSNriIOjmJGQkRyOGodeWb-XhyeUGU5iLHXY/edit?usp=sharing>
>
> Thank you for any suggestions :-)

Mathias Klang
Associate Professor in Digital Technologies&  Emerging Media,
Fordham University

http://klangable.com   ~   @klangable