[Air-L] Meme Tracking

fiona andf fiona.andreallo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 20:20:33 PDT 2017

re; Meme tracking.
I am an inter-diciplinary digital visual culture scholar and I submitted my
thesis a few weeks back focusing on digital memes and selfies(UTS, Sydney;
'The semeful sociability of digital memes'). I am interested in visual
social interaction and communication in social media.
In my thesis I relied heavily on Shiftman's work to investigate memes as
what might be described a form of vernacular creativity (Burgess).

I think this thread was originally about tracking digital memes so I want
to go back to that. Milners( Supervised by Baym) thesis might be of
interest when considering tracking as he investigated memes across a number
of platforms. Many scholars have thought for a while that vernacular is
based in the platform that the activity takes place. In my thesis I focused
on the concept of digital meme communities in the context of evolved place
and space in online contexts. ( my idea of community is the one Fish talks
about)

 Shifman highlights  that digital memes are always groups of content. So I
guess what I am getting at is that you are considering tracking the
movement of memes through online spaces then I think it would be essential
to track groups and spreadability in some way rather then tracking a meme
because the conversation is essentially part of the community the memes and
to remove a meme from its context then also changes the meaning.

Hope that is of some help when thinking about tracking digital memes.

Fiona

Fiona Andreallo
Lecturer USYD